ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Bad Propeller chips??

This is the place to talk about Parallax Propeller Chip and Boards
jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Bad Propeller chips??

Postby jknightandkarr » Wed May 05, 2021 2:57 am

Ok I am REALLY confused on this... Using the Prop Pro Dev Brd, and if i ground ANY pin, the chip can't be seen in the IDE, so can't program or identify the chip, but if i unground the pin, its fine. I added a section of code to turn all leds on, and then off after a second. If grounded and press the reset button, the blue leds on the side of the dev brd flash very quick on and off at an extremely dim setting, I am using the board with a LM3914 driver using a pull up network, just like the board has for the buttons and switches. If i ground the 2nd set of leds I added, same thing, but since the onboard leds are already grounded by design, they should do it, but don't. SOOOOOOOOOO confused here, swapped out the chips and no change. Any clues?
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Re: Bad Propeller chips??

Postby Savage///Circuits » Wed May 05, 2021 11:03 pm

Depending on how you're connected to the board, you may be experiencing a ground loop issue. However, the import ting is to clarify which pins you're grounding on the board. You'd NEVER want to ground and I/O pin. At least not in the way I think you mean.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Thu May 06, 2021 12:27 am

https://youtu.be/2zKo5xUbcTs
Here is a video of what it does. As for the grounding, it's only the I/O pins though, 150 Ohm resistors with 10 k ohm pull up resistors as on the PPDB as pg 5of the schematics show. then output leds to resistors n then ground. I think there might be a power supply issue, measured 4.25 v on the 5V side. Not sure what doing wrong, but oscilloscope showing noise on the volt output side, only showing 5V on both sides, but my multimeter shows 3.3 Vso not sure whats wrong there, but was showing 4.25 volts at times it acts up. In the video I just put an input to straight to ground just to test it, but was doing the same thing on the bargraph leds last night.

Joe

Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 am

On that LED Bar Graph you have on the breadboard...can you confirm what I am seeing? It seems you have an I/O pin going to each LED and then the other side (Cathode) connected to ground. Is that correct?

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Thu May 06, 2021 2:30 pm

Correct, I am working on using the Propeller to interface with a LM3914 to make this:
https://youtu.be/VfeOx0qdrys
with LEDs only with out the solid red part. I've got the display itself 100% designed and one built, but now working on the driver circuit for the vu display part. I have the driver chip attached to pins 22.31, and 0..7 for the Green KARR display, (Bargraph on the PPDB) and 8..18 for the Red KITT display (Blue LEDS) leaving 19 for the 8 pin or 10 pin display.

Like i mentioned before the driver ic is connected to the propeller using the same pull-up resistor design that the PPDB uses on the 8 buttons and 8 switches, I figured since the driver chip sinks current, it could take the place of buttons part of said design and ground the pull-up resistor, taking the Propeller pins to ground then using code to being the leds high state on the set of outputs selected by pin 19, to turn on the display, just like if i had them connected directly to the driver ic. I've attached 2 images of my display lite up, one for each mode.

Current code:
CON
_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x 'Standard clock mode * crystal frequency = 80 MHz
_xinfreq = 5_000_000

{{VAR

byte led1
byte led2
byte led3
byte led4
byte led5
byte led6
byte led7
byte led8
byte led9
byte led10
byte led11
byte led12
byte led13
byte led14
byte led15
byte led16
byte led17
byte led0}}

PUB start

DIRA[22..31]~ 'Inputs
DIRA[19]~ 'Display Select
DIRA[0..7]~~ 'KARR Display
DIRA[8..18]~~ 'KITT Display
OUTA[0..18]~~
WAITCNT(CLKFREQ+CNT)
OUTA[0..18]~
WAITCNT(CLKFREQ+CNT)

REPEAT
IF INA[19]==1 'KARR
OUTA[0]:=!INA[25]
OUTA[1]:=!INA[25]
OUTA[2]:=!INA[26]
OUTA[3]:=!INA[27]
OUTA[4]:=!INA[28]
OUTA[5]:=!INA[29]
OUTA[6]:=!INA[30]
OUTA[7]:=!INA[31]

ELSE 'KITT
OUTA[0]:=!INA[22]
OUTA[1]:=!INA[23]
OUTA[2]:=!INA[24]
OUTA[3]:=!INA[25]
OUTA[4]:=!INA[26]
OUTA[5]:=!INA[27]
OUTA[6]:=!INA[28]
OUTA[7]:=!INA[29]
OUTA[8]:=!INA[30]
OUTA[9]:=!INA[31]
Attachments
20210423_163333.jpg
(275.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20210423_163453.jpg
(292.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Mon May 10, 2021 10:48 am

Can you post your schematic?

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Tue May 11, 2021 2:36 pm

I will have to make one, will get that done asap.

Joe

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 am

On anything more complex than an LED, I would always recommend having a schematic before building a circuit. That way, not only do you have something to refer to, but you can use it to check off each section as you build the circuit. As a bonus, when there's an issue, you can share the schematic and other can offer suggestions.

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Thu May 13, 2021 2:57 pm

I was using schematics in a book as well as the PPDB schematics, just not all put togeather. lol Anyhow, here's a quick one of what I have so far. I left out the Propeller's xtall and power/ground connections to save room for what was needed as far as the external components on the pins, also just noticed i forgot the audio in connections, but thats straight into the audio transformer, and C1 = 10 uF. The book i used for the driver is from Jupiter Electronics The Knight Project, old book with some outdated stuff with some components no longer available, but the Vu meter circuit is still good.

Joe
Attachments
dualvb.png
(47.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Thu May 13, 2021 11:18 pm

I'm going to guess that IC is an LM391x dot/bar display driver. The way it is set, the reference voltage is 1.25V. Not sure what your input is, but...

Depending on how many LEDs you are lighting up, you may be drawing too much current from the Propeller Chip. Driving that many LEDs I would recommend buffering the output.

Rather than trying to shoehorn the analog output of the LM391x into the Propeller chip digital inputs, I would instead, perhaps use an ADC and sample the signal and then, based on the input, light a number of LEDs. Even then, as I said, I would buffer the outputs to the LEDs, either with an IC or transistors. This would also allow you to drive the LEDs at a higher current, making them brighter.

Actually, if I may ask...since you can drive the LEDs directly from the LM391x, is there a reason why you want to run the LEDs through the propeller chip? Years ago I made a voice module display and I used several LM3915 ICs. If there's a reason (useful) to mirror the outputs into the Propeller chip, there may be a better way to do it. Remember, part of what the LM391x is trying to do is maintain a constant current on the LED output, but you don't have any, so I'd have to do a little checking to see what is actually happening as far as the current drivers in the chip.

Return to “Parallax Propeller Chip and Boards”