ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Luxury Washroom LED Lighting

The place for members to showcase their completed projects.
JDISME

Luxury Washroom LED Lighting

Postby JDISME » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Project Idea: Luxury Washroom Lighting
This project was a present to my wife who enjoys lighting throughout the house at night. I knew it had to be easy on the eyes and that it couldn't interfere with any functions such as, using the lavatory and regular washroom cleaning.

I came up with 2 LEDs and ended up going with 3 LEDs under the seat, and these things are super tiny. They are held by some tape (I know, super space age), but if I need to make any changes, and did, it could be done easily and without any long term damage to the seat. I would like to make one by using a router to create some embedded lights in the seat and then cover it with epoxy. The simpler method was the correct way this time I think, until I get a seat to build it.

I have worked with PIR (proximity sensor) before in a number of projects and it's as simple of infrared sensor as they come. It picks up motion within a 60 degree(ish) field of view. The 3 LEDs are controlled through a 2N3904 NPN Transistor and set to a timer of 90 seconds.

The lavatory lights where just not enough to light up the shower area so I made a wall piece. I used the 406 because it is the area code for the state, and the state of Montana shape for obvious reasons. I was able to get more detailed with a Dremel, and was very happy with the results. I had not tried to use a Dremel for more than cutting and some basic stuff, and this project called for a lot more. I ended up burning through my XPR (R.I.P. little buddy, it was a beast) when I was cutting 1/2" pine. I used the table saw to half some 1/2" and got a nice thin sheets of 1/4" I was able to breeze through using the new Dremel 3000. I cut out the 4,0,6 and shape of Montana out of 1/4" pine (just buying them from Home Depot store next time).

1/2" Pine aka Dremel Killer
1/4" Pine aka Butter Wood

I used tiny SS blue LEDs to backlight the 4,0, and 6, the same kind I used for the toilet seat. Regular T1 style LEDs for the white state back light. I didn't want to over power the eyes and worked great with the small testing I did.

I was thinking of powering everything with the one Prop that is on the floor but opted to use a PropStickUSB because I wanted each piece to be able to be used or controlled separately if someone wanted to build each, with the placement of the PIR for the wall unit.

I found a DIY stain for the 4,0, and 6 that I thought would pop on the sapphire state; I don't think I nailed it like the video but still got some of that aging look. I ended up using the rust the steel wool and vinegar created to make the back piece pop with some cool red/brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lMwlYAKMfQ

Summery
All and all, this was a really fun project. It worked out great and everyone in the house and visitors have enjoyed seeing it. If you want to build one and have any questions, feel free to reach out and I'll give you any tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIEEpUrEiYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trZ698tK4sY

Tool Note: The Dremel 3000 series (with extended plan, just in case) was a great purchase, it works perfectly with all my XPR attachments.
Last edited by JDISME on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
Joshua Donelson

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Luxury Washroom LED Lighting

Postby zappman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks for posting your project!!! :D :D :D
It's original and looks very neat.
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

JDISME

Postby JDISME » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:33 am

zappman wrote:Thanks for posting your project!!! :D :D :D
It's original and looks very neat.

Thank you, it was a lot of fun. I will admit, the idea did came from a random product my wife saw on Ebay and said "oh that would be cool", and I said that I could make it better. haha ... the proverbial MORE POWER!!!

I think I will make another one that uses the toilet seat I envisioned initially. Get a seat and just route out a place for lights and change the blue to some WS2812 and then epoxy them all in place. I do like the wall unit working with the seat.
Joshua Donelson

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:56 am

Wow, nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

JDISME

Postby JDISME » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Thank you Art, it was really fun to build and the house loves it. :D
Granz wrote:Wow, nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
Joshua Donelson

JDISME

Postby JDISME » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm

*Update*

The wire I used for the seat was solid instead of stranded, and the movement from opening and closing the lid created a break. I had an idea this was going to happen because of the wire used, and pulled the lights off the seat until I can do my embedded design idea. That will make them part of the seat and able to move up and down without issue. I will note, even without the seat lights, the wall unit creates enough light to still be useful. ;)

~JD
Joshua Donelson

Return to “Completed Projects”