ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Solar Radio

The place for members to showcase their completed projects.
JDISME

Solar Radio

Postby JDISME » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:44 pm

I wanted to make solar projects for a while now; I have always thought there is great potential in using solar power in general so I started small, a simple radio that I can take virtually anywhere and I never have to worry about a dead battery or not having some jams to listen to while I'm out hiking, camping or just sitting out for the day. Also a main focus was using parts that I already had instead of just ordering parts. I used almost all existing parts, I didn’t have enough 100KΩ resistors, other than that everything was used from parts existing.

I used 4x 6V 300mA solar panels with some 9V clips for the recharging system, and a light and durable ABS plastic 5x5x2.5 for the housing. I didn't want buttons that could be pressed inadvertently or anything complex to break down, so I went with some copper sheets with 100kΩ pull-downs that picks up moisture on fingers good and a basic power switch. Went with a 3.7V 2600mA battery and since it is oddly shaped I had to build a holder re-purposing some Ethernet ports, came out great. Cut a hole in the middle and mounted a speaker that was able to produce sound at a decent quality, better than I originally thought when I started testing the speakers I had.

I wanted to leave the option to still use headphones so I cut a spot for the headphones next to solar re-charging port. Looking back I should have make it turn off the main speaker once the headphones are plugged in, but that can be on the next version. All in all takes about 2 hours to re-charge from a dead battery to full charge, it's great. After the final initial charge everything is working out just as I planned. :-)

Finished Radio

PPPDB Wired up

Radio module I used

The power consumption

Speaker Options

Protoboard w/ installed battery and holder

Under the hood
Attachments
IMAG3467.jpg
PPPDB Wired up
(999.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG3477.jpg
Radio module I used
(844.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG3480.jpg
The power consumption
(407.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG3486.jpg
speaker options
(978.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG3552.jpg
Protoboard w/ installed battery and holder
(909.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG3627.jpg
Finished Radio
(692.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SolarRadio.zip
Source Zipped
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
DSC_0140 (Medium).JPG
Under the hood
(211.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by JDISME on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joshua Donelson

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Re: Solar Radio

Postby Savage///Circuits » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Cool project! Thanks for sharing!
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

JDISME

Re: Solar Radio

Postby JDISME » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:49 pm

For sure, glad I was able to. I thought I took more pictures of me soldering, but I was in the moment and didn't take any. I took some and had to resize, Nikon doesn't appreciate pictures under 1MB. I will have to post a video once I touch it up a little. The glue didn't hold 100% when I hit some freezing weather driving around. :D ... Go Go HOT GLUE. :)
Joshua Donelson

Return to “Completed Projects”