ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Would changing the forums cause problems?

Suggestions, questions and answers related to the features and use of the forum site.
chuckt

Would changing the forums cause problems?

Postby chuckt » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 am

Would making this message board more social increase the user base or just cause more problems?

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Re: Would changing the forums cause problems?

Postby Granz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 am

What do you mean by "more social"? Forums like this (it seems to me) are already social. Or, am I missing something?
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 am

Would forum software that incorporated Facebook or Twitter profiles bring more people?
Would subjects other than computers / electronics / micro controllers help bring people to the forum or just cause problems?

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:02 pm

Just my two cents worth, but...

I have a Facebook account, but don't follow it very well. I use it to see pictures of my kids and grand-kids, and to publicize my book.

Twitter: never had an account; may get one for my products/books, or maybe not.

If there are many other fields, other than electronics and microcontrollers (and related) then I would probably drift off. The main reason that I follow ZappBots is to see what other electronics people are doing, and to get motivation. Currently, I am going through the old "Post Photos of your AVR-Related Projects" threads on AVF-Freaks, and it is very inspiring. I've got a few projects that I want to post.
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zappman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 am

chuckt wrote:Would making this message board more social increase the user base or just cause more problems?
Granz wrote:What do you mean by "more social"? Forums like this (it seems to me) are already social. Or, am I missing something?
chuckt wrote:Would forum software that incorporated Facebook or Twitter profiles bring more people?
Would subjects other than computers / electronics / micro controllers help bring people to the forum or just cause problems?

Granz wrote:I have a Facebook account, but don't follow it very well. I use it to see pictures of my kids and grand-kids, and to publicize my book.

Twitter: never had an account; may get one for my products/books, or maybe not.

If there are many other fields, other than electronics and microcontrollers (and related) then I would probably drift off. The main reason that I follow ZappBots is to see what other electronics people are doing, and to get motivation. ...

@ Chuck, thank you for your suggestion, I am glad you want to see the ZapBots Forums grow and prosper.
@ Granz, thanks for your feedback on the main reason you follow ZappBots, and your prospective on Facebook and Twitter.

I myself don't use Facebook or Twitter, maybe sometime in the future I might use them. Maybe adding the option of allowing people to sign-in to the ZappBots Forums using their Facebook or Twitter or Google+ credentials would make it easier for some people to use ZappBots, as they would have one less password to remember. I am not sure if the phpBB software allows this. However, I don't think the lack of this feature is holding back the growth of the ZappBots Forums. Maybe promoting the ZappBots Forums using Twitter or Facebook would help promote the growth of the ZappBots Forums. I encourage ZappBots users to promote the ZappBots Forums by making posts to their Facebook or Twitter or Google+ pages.

RE: Would subjects other than computers / electronics / micro controllers / robotics help bring people to the forum or just cause problems? Discussion of other subjects is not prohibited. We have the General Discussion Forum, which can be used for Open Discussion and Chatter [Non-Topic Discussion]. If there is enough interest in a new/related topic, additional Forums/Sub-Forums can be added to the ZappBots forums. Some candidates for additional Forums/Sub-Forums might include: Mechanical design and Fabrication, Programming; C Basic SPIN Assembly Language. What subjects did you in mind?
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:18 am

zappman wrote:What subjects did you in mind?

The forum should probably just follow what users are building and let it grow at that speed. If people want something new, they should vote on it. When it grows that way, they you will know what you need.

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:06 pm

One other thing to be mindful of is that sometimes one or more people want certain changes and they seem to be the only voice at the time and so you make those changes and then a whole other set of people who hadn't spoken until this point don't like the new changes so you regret making them. Then the first group reminds you that it's your website, but when you undo the changes they suggested then they get mad and most likely don't come back. Been there. Done that. Got the flack (you thought I was going to say T-Shirt, didn't you?). Point is, you can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself. Or maybe that was just a quote from Ricky Nelson. Anyway... :|
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

Return to “Forum Support”