ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Secondary URL?

Suggestions, questions and answers related to the features and use of the forum site.
chuckt

Secondary URL?

Postby chuckt » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:21 pm

I keep going to SavageCircuits to get the link to sign in this forum because I'm on multiple devices like work, home, tablet and phone.
A secondary URL like the first half of this link would be easier to remember and could point to this link which has a "." and I keep thinking of altavista which was my first free secondary email address which is why I have a hard time remembering this link.

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Secondary URL?

Postby zappman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 pm

chuckt wrote:I keep going to SavageCircuits to get the link to sign in this forum because I'm on multiple devices like work, home, tablet and phone.
A secondary URL like the first half of this link would be easier to remember and could point to this link which has a "." and I keep thinking of altavista which was my first free secondary email address which is why I have a hard time remembering this link.

Hi Chuck, I am sorry you are having trouble remembering the URL of the ZappBots Forums zappbots.altervista.org.

At this time I cannot justify spending money for a Domain Name for the forums, as we only have 8 active users including myself.

We are seeing about the same level of participation, as was seen on the Savage///Circuits Forums before they closed, and they did have a private Domain Name.

The last active member joined the ZappBots Forums on Sun May 31, 2015.

Now, I understand Chris Savage's frustration with running his forums.

To everyone reading this post: I am hoping we can make the ZappBots Forums grow. Please, be an active member, not a lurker, and please spread about the forums and encourage your friends to join.

Thanks,

Zappman
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 am

Zapman,

I ran a theology site and it took me a year or more to build and people stuck their nose up at it. You can also see what I did for Brads Projects.

A website has to incorporate Facebook and maybe Twitter. You have to ask why people would join. "What is in it for me?", people will ask. What can you give others? On top of that, what do you have going on for yourself that people would want to see to be a part of?

People have left message boards in droves for Facebook. You might want to start a page on Facebook for these forums and I think Chris should have a savagecircuits page which is a way to be visible.

A secondary URL would make it easier for other users to have repeat visits and access the site.

Chuck

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:58 am

chuckt wrote:People have left message boards in droves for Facebook. You might want to start a page on Facebook for these forums and I think Chris should have a savagecircuits page which is a way to be visible.
Chuck

Chuck,

While I can't stand Facebook and closed my personal account on there long ago, Savage///Circuits does have a fan/community page on there for quite some time. It has about as many likes as we had active members on the website. So yeah, not many.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:32 pm

zappman wrote:We are seeing about the same level of participation, as was seen on the Savage///Circuits Forums before they closed, and they did have a private Domain Name.

The last active member joined the ZappBots Forums on Sun May 31, 2015.

Now, I understand Chris Savage's frustration with running his forums.

To everyone reading this post: I am hoping we can make the ZappBots Forums grow. Please, be an active member, not a lurker, and please spread about the forums and encourage your friends to join.

Thanks,

Zappman

And now with me factor in the modifications to the site, larger user base (not all active, obviously) and the amount of time I spent adding content to try and encourage participation and multiply that times the amount of bandwidth my site generated and it was in the negative. :roll:

I don't envy anyone these days trying to run a website with forums. It's certainly not like it was back in the BBS days. Back then your members were local and there wasn't enough hours in the day for everyone to get into the system half the time. My BBS was ALWAYS busy. But now we have worldwide access and can't get a dozen active members. Go figure. :?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:34 pm

zappman wrote:To everyone reading this post: I am hoping we can make the ZappBots Forums grow. Please, be an active member, not a lurker, and please spread about the forums and encourage your friends to join.

We touched on trying to get another forum to grow:

http://anycpu.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34

An answer to me from email is to post projects or to teach how to use a chip. It requires pictures, a write up, a photo sharing site and blogging.

Return to “Forum Support”