ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

What type of Microcontrollers and Single Board Computers do you use?

A place to talk about anything about Microcontrollers and Single Board Computers that does not fit in one of the below categories.

What type of microcontroller(s) and Single Board Computers do you use? Check all types that apply.

Arduino
13%
Atmel AVR
13%
Beagle Bone
No votes
Microchip PIC
6%
Parallax Basic Stamps
16%
Parallax Propeller Chip and Boards
25%
Raspberry Pi
13%
PICAXE
3%
Other Type(s)
13%

Total votes: 32

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

What type of Microcontrollers and Single Board Computers do you use?

Postby zappman » Fri May 22, 2015 8:43 am

We want to know more about our users.

Please tell us, what type of microcontrollers and Single Board Computers you use.
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Re: What type of Microcontrollers and Single Board Computers do you use?

Postby Savage///Circuits » Fri May 22, 2015 2:39 pm

I voted, but for the record I have used Atmel's ATtiny chips for small projects (been several years though), Arduino @ work only. Parallax BASIC Stamps and Propeller (never was a fan of the SX). I also have a Raspberry Pi B+ and the new RPi 2 (though I haven't yet got a memory card for it).

For the "Other" category I have worked with many other platforms, such as the 65xx, 68xx(x) and Z80 CPU. Also 8051/8052 and 68HC11, though I didn't really care for much except the Z80 for any length of time. In fact I will soon be building a new retro Z80 computer system.
Last edited by Savage///Circuits on Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

Tor

Postby Tor » Tue May 26, 2015 7:47 am

In addition to the Propeller, my 'Others' include Z80 and 65C02 SBCs. And one EZ80 board which I should really start using properly, it's a great chip in many ways.
I don't have a Beaglebone so I didn't tick that one, but I do have a Beagleboard although I haven't used it much. And I have a PIC something which I haven't had time to do anything with - it's for a 6502 emulator project (I got the tiny SBC from Thailand and the software is made by a member over at 6502.org)

-Tor

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:35 am

I pledged $63 for the Chip $9 computer on Kickstarter with HDMI shield and the pocket chip with another chip which is the portable with LCD and keyboard. I'm looking into getting a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for it.

Like the Raspberry Pi, I believe this product will grow into other things and I hope to see it have other peripherals.

I have already bought a Jtag programmer, the ST Link (another programmer), a book on Arm Assembly language, a book on interfacing ARM in projects and a book on the STM32F4 chip. I have some Kindle books.

I'm not experienced in hardware or bare metal programming but I have been reading about Microcontrollers and basic wiring / projects for years and would like to see others get involved. I have to wait until maybe March of next year to get my reward from the kickstarter pledge but there are low cost STM32F4 boards on the web and I think I paid about $22 for the STM Link programmer. The STM32 can probably run at 80 megahertz while the Allwinner ARM chip is probably 1 Gigahertz. The reason I chose ARM is because I saw it as the successor to the 6502 chip, it can access more memory, has more speed and it is more popular and widespread and the other reason I chose it is because I want a computer and do computer projects. I see it as the way forward to some retro computing. So lets call it modern retro.

If the $9 computer does what I want, I might buy up to a dozen so that I have replacement parts that will last me a long time and I could see this as my last hobby until something better comes along.

I also bought a book on the PSOC 4 as I discovered Bil's post on Hackaday and got interested in it.

Return to “Microcontrollers and Single Board Computers: General Discussion”