ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Z80 Compilers (Modern Options)

A place to talk about anything about Microcontrollers and Single Board Computers that does not fit in one of the below categories.
Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Z80 Compilers (Modern Options)

Postby Savage///Circuits » Tue May 26, 2015 11:47 am

Tor,

Just out of curiosity, are you still programming the Z80? If so, what compiler are you using? The one I have is called, "TASM 3.1" and was designed to run in a DOS interface. I haven't used it since 1995 when I still had an IBM PC around running DOS 6. I still have the ZIP files though and was considering testing it once I have more Z80 hardware available. Currently I have only two CPUs and two 62256 SRAM chips. But I am thinking ahead to be able to actually program the Z80 again, however all four of my PCs are 64-bit quad-core or more. Seems like I tried to run an old DOS program I wrote once on Windows 7 and it wouldn't allow it.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Z80 Compilers (Modern Options)

Postby zappman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:37 am

Savage///Circuits said,

I tried to run an old DOS program I wrote once on Windows 7 and it wouldn't allow it.

I talked to my son today, and he confirmed what I thought: We believe, you should be able to run "TASM 3.1" on your 64-bit quad-core or more PC(s) running Windows 7 using DOSBox

From the linked page

DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X...

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, a SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with older games...

You can "re-live" the good old days with the help of DOSBox, it can run plenty of the old classics that don't run on your new computer!

DOSBox is totally free of charge and OpenSource.

My son uses DOSBox to run old "DOS Games" on his 64bit Windows 7 laptop all the time. He say's DOSBox should be able to run your "TASM 3.1" DOS based compiler.
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Just a quick FYI note:

I tried this under Wine in Linux (Mint 17/Cinnamon.) Prior to this, I had already set up and used Wine for many different Windows programs.

- When I tried double-clicking the TASM icon in the windows manager, it froze for a short time (10-20 seconds) and then nothing.
- I next right-clicked the icon, pointed to Open With and selected Mono Runtime (Terminal). A window (maybe a terminal) flashed and then nothing.
- I then right-clicked the icon, pointed to Open With and chose Mono Runtime, and nothing happened at all.

I have not tried DOS-Emu or DOS-Box, or any VM. Although, I should probably try it in my Windows 1.0 VM - that would probably work. ;)

I also did not put much effort into this (yet.)
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Interesting...I have never heard of DOSBox. I was hoping it would run under VMWare (which I do have). Having the older PC itself would have been ideal back in the day since one of my EEPROM programmers (Needham's PB-10) used to plug into an ISA slot and the EMP-20 I had plugged into the printer port. Both stopped working under Windows 98 IIRC. At the time I no longer had any dedicated DOS machines so I sold my programmers thinking I would get something newer, but Needham's went out of business for several years (not sure they're really in business again to be honest) and everything else was super expensive.

See this page for the programmers I mentioned: http://www.needhams.com/programmers.htm
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

Return to “Microcontrollers and Single Board Computers: General Discussion”