ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Organizing Project Parts

A place to talk about anything about electronics that does not fit in one of the below categories.
Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Organizing Project Parts

Postby Savage///Circuits » Thu May 14, 2015 10:02 pm

(Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums September 23rd, 2014, 05:02 PM by Chris Savage)

Organizing Project Parts

One thing I used to have problems with when I first got into electronics is that once I had all my parts organized into parts cabinets when I went to build a project I would sometimes find that one of the parts I needed got used for something else in between my checking for it and going to build the project. After that I decided that I would start pulling the parts needed for a project as the Parts List / BOM was created so that those parts were reserved for that project and if I didn't have them I knew to order them. I needed a temporary place to store the parts for the project. A staging area, if you will. Early on I used cigar boxes because they were readily available. Later I used shoe boxes.

Now I use plastic storage containers that are see-through so that I know there are parts in that particular container and I can see what they're for. I don't usually label these containers since I re-use them once the project is built. I have several stackable containers of varying sizes depending on how much space is needed.

In the photo below you can see all the parts I have set aside for my Clock Comparison Project. This plastic container was just the right size to hold all the parts needed for this project with the exception of the enclosure and power supply, but in this case those are being re-used as well so only the parts specific to this project are placed in the project container.

The parts stay with the container until the project is complete. Sometimes I don't complete the whole thing right away and so everything goes back. For example in the next photo you can see a project that is mostly finished, but I still had some things left to do so I put the PCB and remaining parts back into the container.

So that's it. You can use anything you want to store your project parts and even put a temporary label on the container if it is not see-through. This really helps when you have many projects in the "In Progress" phase and you need to keep track of the parts that belong to them. I hope this helps. Take Care.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Re: Organizing Project Parts

Postby jknightandkarr » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:32 am

Thats a briliant idea. Just put anything into a storage container of somekind. That way you dont loose anything.

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:09 am

That's how I have done it for many years. It's always just been a matter of what the container was. :geek:

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:40 am

Savage///Circuits wrote:(Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums September 23rd, 2014, 05:02 PM by Chris Savage)

Organizing Project Parts
...I don't usually label these containers since I re-use them once the project is built.

You might want to label those clear boxes with "Yellow Sticky Pad" papers. They are cheap and readily available, and I, often, will cut them down so that only the sticky-backed part is used. These make great temporary labels.
Savage///Circuits wrote:(Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums September 23rd, 2014, 05:02 PM by Chris Savage)...For example in the next photo you can see a project that is mostly finished, but I still had some things left to do so I put the PCB and remaining parts back into the container.

Hey, I recognize that PCB. :D It's nice exciting seeing my stuff pop up like this. Did you ever do anything with that Tiny2313 Experimenter Board?

These are some great ideas, Chris. Thanks for sharing; you have given me some more motivation for organizing my shop.
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Granz,

I haven't done anything with it since our initial testing for your book / class. I think since then I have re-installed my Atmel Software so not sure if I connected since then or not. Right now I can find anything as the Savage///Circuits vault was emptied to make room for my wife who is now bed-ridden. Everything that was in that store room is piled up in the back of my living room. :oops:

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:08 am

Chris, I understand; Wendy comes first. Please give her our regards. (Maybe remind her of the time that I called you about your April Fool's prank. That might give her a little chuckle - she sure got a good laugh at the time. Once I realized that I had been had, it was pretty funny. :lol: )
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Postby jknightandkarr » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:01 pm

I need to get some stuff n sort my stuff out. For that matter i havent done anything much on the propeller for a while now....

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:28 pm

I wonder if it is possible to take photos of parts and insert the images into an excel file with the part numbers and locations of storage. I think that might solve a lot of problems but also add to the amount of time to set up a system. It would save a lot of time in the future in locating and inventorying parts.

jlocke

Postby jlocke » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:04 am

It's not a straight-forward process, but you can insert pictures into the 'Comments' of a cell. When you move your mouse over the cell, the picture will automatically appear.

MrBi11

Postby MrBi11 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Instead of a spreadsheet to organize your data, don't you think a database management (i.e. Access which comes with M$ office with Access) would work better?

Return to “Electronics: General Discussion”