ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Transistor issues??

A place to talk about anything about electronics that does not fit in one of the below categories.
Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Re: Transistor issues??

Postby Savage///Circuits » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:19 pm

I still have those bi-color LED Bar Graph displays I bought. Did you still need help with switching colors between red / green?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Postby jknightandkarr » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:44 pm

Maybe with using a single pin high on one n low for the other. Was thinking of a pnp & npn transistors with base pins connected togeather through a resistor. What do you think?
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:52 am

I may be wrong, but you may be overcomplicating things. That is to say, NPN and PNP transistors work differently. You can use two PNP transistors or two P-channel FETs with an inverter (a single NPN transistor). You need to be able to switch the max current expected in bar mode. I don't remember how much current my circuits drew. I would really need to rebuild them.

Do you have a schematic for the board you showed? I could build part of that to test the circuit.

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:30 pm

Savage///Circuits wrote:I may be wrong, but you may be overcomplicating things. That is to say, NPN and PNP transistors work differently. You can use two PNP transistors or two P-channel FETs with an inverter (a single NPN transistor). You need to be able to switch the max current expected in bar mode. I don't remember how much current my circuits drew. I would really need to rebuild them.

Do you have a schematic for the board you showed? I could build part of that to test the circuit.

Ok Chris, I attached quick simple schematic. It has Q1-8 for all the Yellow LEDs (KARR), instead of attaching all in the circuit, and Q9-18 for the Red LEDs (KITT). Reason I was thinking of a PNP & a NPN is using a single common pin for the version selector. High for KITT & Low for KARR. This way it's not possible for both sides to be on at once. R19-23 can be adjusted as needed along with R9-18 for KITT's display since its LED in each has a LED pattern of 2-2-6-6-6-6-6-6-4-4 so the 2's need one value, 6's another value and 4's a different resistor value to make sure all the LED's are equal brightness. Since KARR's display always uses 6 LEDs per segment, this obviously only needs one value for each segment. I will probly increase the +5V to +12V and just need to adjust the all of the resistor values as needed. R20 & R21 are for the individual inputs for the actual LED driver for my Arduino Uno. I got lazy n didn't feel like changing them, so that's why there isn't a connection on them. LOL
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-31 171406.png
(25.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:56 pm

Have you tested your switching circuit?

Also, why does each LED have a transistor? Are you no longer using the LM3914?

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:44 am

Savage///Circuits wrote:Have you tested your switching circuit?

Also, why does each LED have a transistor? Are you no longer using the LM3914?

Not yet i haven't but want to, been busy at work and either tired or sick lately. As for the transistors, I was expecting min 50 mA and 150 mA max per segment, so wanted to avoid damage, so thats why I have the transistors in. Since I got an Arduino Uno to work as the driver, I am going to try and avoid using one for this, as I need a microcontroller for the 8 LEDs on the sides and the 3 sets under the voice display anyhow, so I figured I could do it with an Arduino. After some searches, I found a project from Element 14, that did the job.

Here is a quick link of what all my display will do as far as the voice box goes.
https://youtu.be/rfAGfi5zqUk

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:58 am

I didn't see the voice module active in that video. When I originally ordered the displays you were using the LM3914, so that's what I started my test circuit around. The outputs are current controlled on that IC and do not require transistors or even resistors. You can use an MCU, but I would still be doing it using the LM3914, myself.

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:15 pm

I didn't have one posted, just video of the MCU testing stuff, but here is a video of it working. I will have to try using 3914 again, couldn't get it working the first time for some reason.

https://youtu.be/35riTTwJGH0

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:08 am

I don't know if I have any LM3914 chips currently. I am starting over...I do have the displays though and I can try this week to make the switching circuit for the red/green. It uses 3 NPN transistors to select using one I/O pin. Which color should be the default (I/O pin low)?

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:41 pm

It don't matter really, either one is fine.

Return to “Electronics: General Discussion”