ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

How to Help a 99.9% paralyzed person

This is the place to talk about Bio-Medical Electronics
Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Re: How to Help a 99.9% paralyzed person

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 18th, 2014, 03:18 PM by Granz

Nah, we will just let the system, as it comes from the factory, deal with the wireless. We can place the Force Trainer base where convenient, and use wires to tap from there. There is no need to deal with the RF signal at all; that would just be duplicating their work, we don't need to re-invent the base unit (unless we want to go into production, but then we would need to recreate the headset, as well as the base - and then, we might as well use whatever standard/protocol/etc we want, rather than theirs.)
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 29th, 2014, 11:02 PM by Granz

Originally Posted by Granz
Ok, well I now have a Jedi Knight Force Trainer (Thank You Jason.)...

Well, I did a teardown of the trainer - I have documented it on my projects blog (http://projects.granzeier.com/2014/04/2 ... -teardown/.) Take a look at this (but don't tear yours down yet, let me get to where we have a usable system to collect Lisa's "thoughts" ) and we will continue with interfacing it to a Propeller PDB for forwarding the data stream to a PC. I hope to get to that tomorrow (get away from me Capt. Murphy! :D )

Also, Jason, I already several connector housings for the cable to plug into the 2x6 male header, thanks to a friend of mine (shameless plug - take a look a Eddie Wright's site at http://www.wrighthobbies.com,) along with many hundred female pins. Since I have not found a good source for these housings, if this works, I will send you one of those connector sets, with several pins - unless you find a source, in that case, please let me know for future use. Send me your address in a PM, please.
GranzTronix

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 30th, 2014, 06:48 AM by ElectronsRfun

I have a USB to serial TTL cable laying around in a box somewhere is that of any use? The wires opposite the USB connection are stripped for use in a breadboard. The cable is used to program the Atmega

The cable came with a nerd kit, so I also have the LCD and an Atmega 16 that came with the kit (I also have a Atmega32 don't know how to program them but they are here if that gives you a better option of what mire you want to use. From what I remember the Atmel was being programed in something very much like C, heck it even could have been C. I remember something like ( # include library ) Sure looks like C.

Ok too tired to think

Granz

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on May 1st, 2014, 11:15 PM by Granz

Originally Posted by ElectronsRfun
Here is the matrix grid. 32 of the blanks will be for the 32 statements Lisa will be able to say. The hole thing needs to be rearranged but you can get the idea of what's going on.

[This was originally going to Jason in a PM, but I thought that it should be posted to the group, in case anyone has any additions/comments/questions.]

Hold off on that LED matrix for a bit, I am thinking that we can use a Prop to take the data in from the FT, and then use that to move a "LED" (highlighted word, picture icon, or letter/number) on a large television screen. This would give us the ability to dynamically change the "LED matrix" to meet Lisa's needs (in other words, if she picks the upper-left corner, or whatever, it would change the matrix from common words to letters and numbers, etc.) That would give us a lot more flexibility; Lisa could have an infinite number of "LED matrices", rather than just one. Maybe one of the matrices would be different television channels http://www.instructables.com/id/Microco ... ment-Syst/) and another could be different radio, or Pandora, stations and another matrix could be for talking about food, and menus of what Lisa would like for dinner, while another matrix could be for jokes, etc. The list could go on and on. The default (or initial) matrix should cover her most pressing needs ("I'm hurting", "I'm hot/cold", "I'm hungry", "Who was that on the phone?", "I love you", "I REALLY need to get out of this darned wheelchair and go dancing!" - with one or two cells in the default matrix to switch to the next matrix in line [or a series of cells in the matrix, one for each new matrix.]) If you have much in the way of recordings of Lisa speaking, we might be able to create enough of a vocabulary that Lisa (and you) could hear her talking in her own voice - that might be worth the effort.

How does that sound?
GranzTronix

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on May 2nd, 2014, 12:37 AM by ElectronsRfun

Hi Art,

Yes I like everything that is in your post. I have thought about most of the things you have spoken about (it is in my patent application which is posted on Chris's web site under project workbench and the Linear Intergratable Signal Assistant (L.I.S.A.) system. I even purchased the little TV Parallax used to sell as the peripheral kit (they no longer sell the kit nor the TV but I have one. Lisa uses the TV every night, all night long, in case she wakes up and is bored or has anxiety and can't go back to sleep)

The biggest problem and hold up... once again.... is my lack of knowledge and ability to learn at a faster rate. There is so much to learn and I don't always understand what I'm learning :? .

The next problem would be Lisa's burly vision and only one eye to look through. Small print does not work for her.

I REALLY need to get out of this darned wheelchair and go dancing!"

Yea I'm trying on this one also... I had a very impressive cure idea I passed on to TDI and the V.P. Ph.D emailed me back saying my idea is really right on, but they just don't know how to make those chemicals go wear we need them to go and he has spent the last 25 years working on that very problem. I was telling Al (that's the guys name) the connection I noticed between REM sleep paralysis and ALS. Just recently in Canada a couple of researchers found out what chemical combination can stop REM sleep paralysis. Any way I guess this conversation doesn't belong here.

If you have much in the way of recordings of Lisa speaking, we might be able to create enough of a vocabulary that Lisa (and you) could hear her talking in her own voice - that might be worth the effort.

We lost our home and all the possessions from our home we have nothing from that life anymore. That includes computers with videos and pictures. Everything is gone!

How does that sound?

really great :D .

Granz

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:31 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on May 2nd, 2014, 09:22 AM by Granz

Hi Art,
...The biggest problem and hold up... once again.... is my lack of knowledge and ability to learn at a faster rate. There is so much to learn and I don't always understand what I'm learning :? .

Yeah, that is where your research assistants and interns (us) come in to play. We can experiment on some stuff and pass on the results to you so that you can concentrate on what is already looking promising/interesting/successful/possible.

The next problem would be Lisa's burly vision and only one eye to look through. Small print does not work for her.

Right, that's why I was talking about using a large TV (maybe in the 27"-32" range, plus or minus whatever Lisa finds useful.)

Yea I'm trying on this one also... I had a very impressive cure idea I passed on to TDI and the V.P. Ph.D emailed me back saying my idea is really right on, but they just don't know how to make those chemicals go wear we need them to go and he has spent the last 25 years working on that very problem. I was telling Al (that's the guys name) the connection I noticed between REM sleep paralysis and ALS. Just recently in Canada a couple of researchers found out what chemical combination can stop REM sleep paralysis. Any way I guess this conversation doesn't belong here.

Perhaps not, but it is VERY interesting anyway (although, I think that it does - this kind of project is more interesting if we see that a cure may be coming down the pike.) It seems pretty clear that you have a much better grasp on biochemistry and pharmacology (even at a hobbyist level) than I do, and with an interest in other sciences (besides electronics and computer science/engineering) it is good to hear about that kind of stuff - keep on posting that kind of stuff.

We lost our home and all the possessions from our home we have nothing from that life anymore. That includes computers with videos and pictures. Everything is gone!

Ouch - that sucks! Well, got to keep the Footprints poem (http://www.footprints-inthe-sand.com/in ... m/Poem.php - caution, turn the sound down a bit) in mind through things like this. Never forget what Coach Grant Taylor (Facing the Giants) said: "We're going to praise God when we win, and we're going to praise God when we lose." Very difficult, but even more important.
GranzTronix

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on May 2nd, 2014, 01:36 PM by ElectronsRfun with edits

Right, that's why I was talking about using a large TV (maybe in the 27"-32" range, plus or minus whatever Lisa finds useful.)

True you did say that. I wasn't tying to down play what you suggested I was just thinking about when Lisa watches TV (which is all she really does) and then want's to talk or use the system you are talking about, she would need a second larger TV screen to do so. Lisa has a 43" TV but when I split the screen into 2, each of the 2 half's is too small for Lisa to read. Further, when I get on the internet for Lisa, I have to zoom in 200% for her to read the screen, and that's on a 43" TV, and she is 10 feet away from the TV. I think what you said would work well Lisa would just need 2 large TV's Both within her field of vision. That would be something I would have to work on, but has no weight on the validity of the idea. They make realyyyyyyy big TV's these days. I have to hire Atlas just to hold it up for her.

I was also thinking ahead about how can I get Lisa to read a travel size screen.

The new iPad iOS7 has an interesting way of getting such a system to work with only 1 switch input.

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:46 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on May 20th, 2014, 01:36 PM by ElectronsRfun

Hi Granz,
I don't really know why neg. voltages are needed? To me it appears negative voltages only increase the Voltage potential difference. Anyone can jump in here and tell me why.

As far as why negative voltages are required, those triangular devices are op amps (operational amplifiers) and those normally require both positive and negative voltages for operation.

Positive and negative voltages are needed in an Op-Amp to correspond with the high pressure wave and then the sudden pressure drop that occurs in sound when speaking or singing. The ambient atmospheric pressure 29.92 in/mg or 1 ATM or 14.7psi is the reference voltage of 0 and all other voltages, positive or negative, are just simply identically mimicking the pressure wave being induced by the sound. As the pressure wave increases, the voltage increases and as the pressure wave reduces, the voltage reduces. And the ambient air pressure is the relative point at which all this is compared against.

Answered my own question but it took a long time.

Jason

Granz

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:48 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on May 20th, 2014, 09:26 PM by Granz

Positive and negative voltages are needed in an Op-Amp to correspond with the high pressure wave and then the sudden pressure drop that occurs in sound when speaking or singing. ...
Jason

Jeez - remember when I told you that my memory is not always the best. Now that you mention that, I do remember (from long ago) that op amps need both positive and negative source voltages to handle input (and output) voltages which swing above and below zero (ground.) Having been working in the digital realm for so long, I do not often think about negative voltages - after all, there are no negative voltages in the real world, right? :lol:
GranzTronix

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on May 24th, 2014, 12:41 PM by Blodgar

What about brainwave control? There are a number of commercially available/hackable brainwave monitoring devices out there (e.g. Mindwave Mobile EEG headset) which *might* be usable in your wife's situation. It seems that they could bypass the neuro-muscular issues that make the other switching/control options problematic for your wife. i was in charge of assistive technology in several of my previous jobs (which meant the hardware/software was dumped on my desk - even if it was the *wrong* hw/sw - and was expected to make it work). I must add (in edit) that none of my co-workers or friends I set equipment up for had the degree of restriction your wife is dealing with.
Here are some examples from Hackaday:
http://hackaday.com/2011/04/10/brainwav ... -the-home/
the search URL I used for HAD is: http://hackaday.com/?s=brainwave
If there is anything I can do to help, please ask.
Good luck.

Return to “Bio-Medical Electronics”