ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

How to Help a 99.9% paralyzed person

This is the place to talk about Bio-Medical Electronics
Electrons-R-Fun

Re: How to Help a 99.9% paralyzed person

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:05 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 14th, 2014, 04:55 PM by ElectronsRfun

Hey Art,

Yes, Lisa can not blink very reliably, but I was more along the lines of thinking that Lisa could use her eyes in the left right direction to control two different switches. Those 2 switched could be used to control the matrix grid, which in turn controls all the other stuff.

My biggest concern with the mind control stuff is it appears to be sluggish and magical in it's response. It's really hard to tell when the mind control is going to work, or how it's working. Just seems to kinda not work, then starts to work, then continues to work when you don't want it to, then stops.

Lisa is very good at making devices fail because the person who designed the devices never intended for the device do what she puts the device through. With Lisa it's all about controlling all the false movements. That is what has turned out to be my thorn in my side, controlling the false stuff which looks the same as the real stuff. Very frustrating for me.

Have to go.

Jason

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 14th, 2014, 06:37 PM by Granz

Originally Posted by ElectronsRfun
Hey Art,

Yes, Lisa can not blink very reliably, but I was more along the lines of thinking that Lisa could use her eyes in the left right direction to control two different switches. Those 2 switched could be used to control the matrix grid, which in turn controls all the other stuff.

Ok, well the Eye Mouse will give an additional two directions (switches.) Can Lisa control her eye direction decently? That will affect her control over the "switches."

My biggest concern with the mind control stuff is it appears to be sluggish and magical in it's response. It's really hard to tell when the mind control is going to work, or how it's working. Just seems to kinda not work, then starts to work, then continues to work when you don't want it to, then stops.

That makes things much more difficult. Well, we'll keep looking for new ideas.

Lisa is very good at making devices fail because the person who designed the devices never intended for the device do what she puts the device through. With Lisa it's all about controlling all the false movements. That is what has turned out to be my thorn in my side, controlling the false stuff which looks the same as the real stuff. Very frustrating for me.

Have to go.

Jason

That just means that she is a great beta tester. That is good, because when a product passes Lisa's QC (quality control) we can be assured that ALL of the bugs have been worked out of it.
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 14th, 2014, 07:03 PM by ElectronsRfun

That just means that she is a great beta tester. That is good, because when a product passes Lisa's QC (quality control) we can be assured that ALL of the bugs have been worked out of it.

That's what I tell her all the time. In fact the people who have one in Alabama (she just died) never had a problem with the LISA alarm because I tried to fix so many problems to make it work good for Lisa. Since it worked so good the ALS chapter is asking for it back to give a vet. who needs it to control his Ipad and act as an alarm.

Its really frustrating for me, I know what I want to do, I just don't know how to do it half the time. Like on my patent I want to be able to compare signatures and us A.I. to make a decision if the user meant to turn on a switch or if something the movement was non-intentional.

Can Lisa control her eye direction decently? That will affect her control over the "switches."

yes this is how I talk to her with yes no question, but imagine she could use those 2 movements to control 2 switches to talk, spell, or control stuff. That would be so much faster for her.

Do you want me to post a picture of the matrix grid I talk about. It is currently hooked up the the PPDB and working?

Jason

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 14th, 2014, 07:22 PM by ElectronsRfun

Here is the matrix grid. 32 of the blanks will be for the 32 statements Lisa will be able to say. The hole thing needs to be rearranged but you can get the idea of what's going on.
(full size picture lost during forum migration)

matrix working -thumbnail.jpg
(3.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 14th, 2014, 10:31 PM by Granz

Jason,

Your matrix reminded me of something that I saw back in the early '80s. It took quite a bit of looking, but I finally found it. Take a look at the September 1982 issue of Byte Magazine (https://archive.org/details/byte-magazi ... -09-rescan,) specifically on page 166. The authors use a handheld computer and connect it to a matrix similar to yours. The main difference is that they organized the letters in most-commonly-used order (that, and they did not include as many whole words, and phrases, like you did.)

Take a look at how they have their matrix arranged, and read though the article, for some more ideas on how Lisa could select letters and words. The users in this article seem to be in better shape than Lisa, but a lot of the ideas can be used. There are also many other articles in that issue, which may have some information which could be useful in the LISA.

Again, I just did a scan of the article (have not read it since about 1982 or so,) so read the article(s) rather than completely trusting my memory.
GranzTronix

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 14th, 2014, 11:08 PM by ElectronsRfun

again brother,

what an impressive memory you have! regardless if you can't remember specific details. I am simply in awe of your ability to remember and find relevant information about stuff that can help Lisa.

Respect.

Since I seem to continue to be stuck decades past, is there a new modern better way of doing what I'm trying to accomplish that is simple and easy for a person with only 1 eye and blurry vision to do?

Granz

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM by Granz

Don't be too quick with the awe and respect...

Q: All right, Mr. G. do you remember what you had for breakfast on March 24th in 1980?
A: Yes, it was a Monday, and I was a bit hungry from the weekend. I got to the chow hall (I stayed in the student area, rather than going to the main part of the base, even though the other chow hall had better food) about 07:15. I ordered two 3-egg omelettes (western style - my favorite), the cook added extra stuff that day, then I picked up 5 pancakes, three pieces of sausage, ten pieces of bacon, three biscuits, with three packs of jelly (grape), four pieces of rye toast, and two bowls of mixed fruit. I also picked up an apple, and then 15 cartons of milk. I skipped over the grits, because I had not been introduced to that delicacy yet. After eating, I went back and got another omelette, three more pieces of sausage and five more pieces of bacon, along with another 10 boxes of milk.
Q: Impressive memory sir, and yesterday...?
A: Umm, Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I ate breakfast yesterday... :lol:

As far as being stuck in the past, much off the basic stuff will still apply today. For example, the order of the letters of the alphabet by usage has not changed, significantly; you can still use a layout like that. Make the display board bigger, to account for Lisa's blurry vision. Change the computer to a Prop, or something, and switch the BASIC to Spin (or, use PropBASIC and just slightly modify the BASIC code shown in the article.) As far as the hardware (like I mentioned, TI lists the INA102 as obsolete,) we can find modern versions to almost anything. The basic concepts are what are important from those old articles.
GranzTronix

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 15th, 2014, 11:40 AM by ElectronsRfun

Hey Art,
Q: Impressive memory sir, and yesterday...?
A: Umm, Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I ate breakfast yesterday... :lol:

I can relate to this. I have found the truth makes the funniest jokes.

Make the display board bigger, to account for Lisa's blurry vision.

I wish you could see a video of this working. From what I read in the article it seems like I reinvented the wheel. I always do that. :?

One of the things I did to help Lisa with the blurry vision issue is, I used different color LED's to signify what column she is in. So.. If row 1 is lit then column A lights it's green LED. Then If column B is on a pink LED lights on, etc. And to help Lisa further the propeller keeps the row active. My meaning is, the row is 10 options across if the 10th. LED lights then the row repeats. Further if Lisa makes a selection in a row then the same row repeats and keeps repeating until Lisa selects column 10, which is a Red LED on all rows, and then exits to the rows self scrolling (they call self scrolling something else I just can't remember).

I was also thinking about, since I have the Emic up and able to speak 32 statements for her I might as well have it say what row is currently lit. But that might get a little annoying hearing that over and over and over again.

Granz

Postby Granz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 18th, 2014, 11:52 AM by Granz

Ok, well I now have a Jedi Knight Force Trainer (Thank You Jason.) It is unpacked, and I will begin the initial setup/calibration either tomorrow (Saturday) or Tuesday - Sunday (especially Resurrection Sunday) is for rest ;), and I am going out-of-state for a Hackerspace meeting on Monday. This thing looks pretty cool - also, I did not realize that Merlin and Nostradamus were Jedi Knights - will wonders never cease?

This looks like it will be pretty easy to interface (based on the hacking site that I saw earlier, and the size/construction of the unit.) We don't have to worry about the sensor amplifiers or the analog signals at all - we can tap into the ASCII data stream, directly from the base unit. The guy, that posted the hacking site, says that the base unit transmits a stream of three decimal numbers (in ASCII) followed by a LF/CR. We should be able to see that in Hyperterm, or something like that. I am thinking that we can feed the TTL stream to the Prop on the PPDB, and then have the Prop relay the data stream to the PC through the USB interface. We should not need that Maxim chip at all; but if we do, I will order a few samples and then ship them to you after I complete my experimenting (unless you want to order [or already have ordered] a few samples for yourself.)
GranzTronix

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on April 18th, 2014, 02:49 PM by ElectronsRfun

Art I'll just duplicate what you do there, here. That way, nothing will get broken or moved during shipping. Were you going to try and interface with the Xbee's? Or put one of the propeller boards by the force trainer and then Xbee the signal over to the another propeller board that is connected to the computer?

Have to go.

Return to “Bio-Medical Electronics”