ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

An Interesting Trio. ALS, DynaVox, and Parallax Propeller, hmmm... Here is what can we do with that!

This is the place to talk about Bio-Medical Electronics
Electrons-R-Fun

An Interesting Trio. ALS, DynaVox, and Parallax Propeller, hmmm... Here is what can we do with that!

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on September 14th, 2014, 09:20 AM by ElectronsRfun with edits

An Interesting Trio. ALS, DynaVox, and Parallax Propeller, hmmm... what can we do with that?

UH :? How about this!

This video is an example of how an ALS user can use a sensor as a switch to control a Tobii or DynaVox Assistive Technology Machine.
https://youtu.be/NkfkDfRwMx8

Why did I choose to use an accelerometer?

Well... ALS patients can often move a part of there body for a couple of years before complete paralysis, but the patient will not have the strength to compress a button or keep the button orientated for reliable use.

Since the family that contacted me was worried about the button compression issue I showed them the ping))) sensor switch, the touch switch, and now hopefully the solution the accelerometer switch.

I will report back in a couple of weeks on the success/failure of this idea.

Jason

Electrons-R-Fun

Re: An Interesting Trio. ALS, DynaVox, and Parallax Propeller, hmmm... Here is what can we do with that!

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Originally posted on the Savage///Circuits Forums on October 12th, 2014, 10:40 PM by ElectronsRfun with edits

Here are the photos of the finished project for a person who has ALS. This device should help them control their Tobbi/DynaVox machine and communicate with family and friends in an easier manor.

This is a picture of the Bar Graph that helps orientate the user to where their finger is in 3-D space. The color of the LED's are Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red. The LED's are 10mm RGB with common Anode. I control the color through the voltage/current drop through the resistor coming off of the Cathode on each LED lead.

This is a picture of the box that houses the electronic components. This picture was taken with a flash.

Same as above, but no Flash

This picture is of the top of the box. Here you can see the switches the 4 orange LED (used to indicate the tilt is wrong on the sensor) the set button and the yes white LED

This is a picture inside the box. You can see the Parallax Proto board, 2 relays, the battery back up/travel case and some other components.

Just a slightly different angle inside the box.

This project was built using the Parallax Proto Board: http://www.parallax.com/product/32212

I made a video that shows how everything works.

This video shows how a user with ALS, who can still move a finger, can control a computer like a Dynavox or Tobbi using eye-gaze technology.
https://youtu.be/vCXXJQs81ZE

Don't let the fact that I had trouble "clicking" on the beach ball, in the correct amount of time, fool you. This system worked really good. I had a hard time holding my phone (the camera), making sure everything was in frame, following the beach ball with my eyes, staring at the beach ball when it stopped, moving the sensor to select the square, and staring at the correct square where the beach ball ended up. When I'm not holding the phone to film, I was able to select a letter every 1.5 seconds.

Jason

Return to “Bio-Medical Electronics”