ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

New Member Introductions

Open Discussion and Chatter [Non-Topic Discussion]
Please read the Rules & Guidelines post before making any posts on the forums.
Please make your first post a reply to the New Members Introduction post.
eod_punk

Re: New Member Introductions

Postby eod_punk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:21 pm

Hey everyone! Sorry it took me sometime to signup over here but I was in the middle of getting a new house and had somethings to take care of first to keep mamma happy before I could catch up with my stuff.

The plus side of all the pain in the @$$ of moving my gaming/electronics area has become larger than at my old house, as I was able to convince the wife I should have a nice section of the basement in the unfinished part. I'm still trying to find a home for all the pieces and parts but the computer desk and workbench have found their permanent location.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Mason
There is no problem that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives! www.eodmemorial.org

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:48 am

Welcome Mason, glad to see you again.
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Postby jknightandkarr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:25 am

Welcome!

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Welcome back Mason.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

blittled

Postby blittled » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:24 pm

I've been on the Parallax, Savage and Propeller Powered forums so you may already know me. If you don't here's my story....

In junior high a friend introduced me to electronics. I was fascinated with the fact that with a handful of parts you could make many things. I was hooked. With the money I made mowing lawns I would go to Radio Shack and pick up every 74 TTL series chips I could get. I would spend hours sketching out logic circuits and then building them on a breadboard or with my 101 Projects kit. I then got a magazine with an article that captivated me, Popular Electronics’s Build your own Elf computer. Sadly my allowance wasn't enough to get the parts to build it.

A couple of years later I decided to make my hobby my career and went to college to become an Electrical Engineer. In my second year I took a Fortran computer course, complete with punch cards. I found the course to be easy. I quickly finished my assignments, helped other students and barely studied so I knew I had the computer programming knack. I almost switched majors but I was determined to get my EE degree.

The last year of college a local grocery store had a promotion that with $100 of receipts you could buy a Timex Sinclair 1000 with a 16K Ram pack for $100. So my parents bought one for a Christmas present for me. That was my first computer.

After graduating college with an EE degree I got my first job as a civilian requisition engineer in the Navy in 1985. One of my tasks was to maintain a network that was part of a bigger network and they used something called "e-mail" :). That job wasn't a good fit so I went onto a computer programming job and stayed with programming ever since. I've done Basic, VB6, C, C#. On 2 jobs I worked as a web programmer in ASP, ASP.Net and PHP,

One job reintroduced me to the Z80 assembly I learned on the Timex Sinclair 1000. I also had a project that introduced me to micro-controllers, the PIC16 chips. That got me hooked on micro-controllers.

My electronics skills were used in my hobby. I modified my TS1000 to work with a joystick. I went through about 5 Commodore 64s. I've also had a TI99-4A and an Amiga before finally settling down to the PC and Windows. I am currently transitioning to Linux Mint.

In the early 2000s a friend invited me to go to the first Unofficial Propeller Expo. I got hooked on the Propeller and currently have about 20 odd Propeller boards ranging from a Prop stick to the PPDB. I also have some Arduino boards, Basic Stamp, Raspberry PI B, Beagle Bone Black, PIC Chips and a handful of other boards.

I want to keep moving with the technology so I am now getting into ARM based boards such as the Rasp-PI and BBB board. I prefer bare metal programming so I also got an Arduino Due. Just recently I decided to take the plunge into FPGA and got a DE0-Nano which I'm trying to put the ZX-Gate (ZX81 SOC) project on.

I've also gone back to my roots and got back into retro-computing. Sadly in my many moves I've lost most of my Commodore and TS1000 collection. I've rebuilt my ZX81 collection. I now have 2 TS1000's, 1 ZX81, and a modern clone of the ZX81 called the ZXCore. Thanks to Granz I now also have an Elf II.

So that is the end of this long winded introduction. I look forward to interacting with all of you.
Even though I'm totally dependent on modern electronic gizmos, from my laptop to my Kindle, I love to embrace old technology or no technology at all.

MikeDYur

Postby MikeDYur » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:54 am

Hello, My name is Michael D. Yurick, I was born in Akron, Ohio in the last year of the 50s, and was lucky enough to witness the end of the vacuum tube era. and the beginning of the silicon revolution, and all the toy's, gadget's and invention's that came along with it. My interest in electronics started early, and I probably owe it to a TV repair man who was a friend of my father, (Those were the days when they made house calls) seeing the back off of the set and glowing tubes interested me, along with the giant tool box full of tubes and other parts, the wonder of how those things could make a picture and sound captured my imagination. growing up I wanted the toys with many parts like Tinker Toy, Lincoln Logs, Leggo and Erector sets. electronic items were always on my gift wish list, learning from electronic kit building was one of my favorite things to do.

After quitting school in the tenth grade, I went to work full time for a neighbor in his TV and electronic repair shop, cleaning the inside of TVs, checking tubes and other simple tasks were my main duties. It was there I made money to afford my main interests, electronics and computers. My first computer never quite made it to "power-up", after pageing through countless early home computing magazines, I ordered the NS SC/MP Microprocessor Evaluation Kit, and soldered it together the same day I recieved it. After a few HAM fests and other parts orders I aquired what I needed, like a Kleinschmidt teletype and parts to make a power supply. I changed my mind on the terminal mid-stream, and purchased SWTP TV Typwriter Kit. After assembly and converting a tube-type TV my grandmother gave me into a monitor, I was close to having a working system. But then I got side-tracked, my father helped me purchase a new Commodore PET computer. From there my systems were a Timex-Sinclair 1000 and Atari 800XL system, along with an IBM PS/1 and a couple of clones, I started putting together own my systems from ready-made parts. My last desktop started life in 2009, and is my main system today. With Windows Vista Home Premium and after aquiring service pack 2, it has'nt been on the Internet since, I think it's speed and usefullness can be atributed to that. I have had five or six laptops and various Windows OS's since then.

My interest in microcontrollers started back in 2008 with the purchase of "What is a Microcontroller? by Andy Lindsay" The Parallax book, BS2 Homework board and kit from Radio Shack. I got interested in the Propeller soon after learning about it, and buying a Quickstart board at R.S., Been enjoying the BS2 and Propelleller ever since, to me there is nothing else out there. Except for the P2 whenever it's available, I will give it a try. My interest in robotics started at an early age, and I began work on my own creation after the sucessful landing of the Mars Science Laboratory. After gaining notice on Parallax Forums in "Erco's Figure Eight Challenge", TEMPER robot as I call it stands for: "Terestrial_Explorer_Mobile_Propeller-Platform_Enviromental_Rover",
and is a Propeller driven four wheel servo drive remote or autoamous controlled vehicle, capable of multiple sensor feedback. I look forward to sharing my work and progress with fellow forum members, and hope we all have a great learning experience.

Nothatechsavvy

Postby Nothatechsavvy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 pm

Lets see .. well im as the title says but i love to tinker and see how things work this looks like a good source for
Project ideas and details i could easily miss

jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Postby jknightandkarr » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:55 pm

Welcome to zappbots! Hope you have fun here.

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Return to “General Discussion”