ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Instek GOS-620 Oscope help...

Open Discussion and Chatter [Non-Topic Discussion]
Please read the Rules & Guidelines post before making any posts on the forums.
Please make your first post a reply to the New Members Introduction post.
jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Instek GOS-620 Oscope help...

Postby jknightandkarr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Seam to have alittle bit of an issue with my oscilloscope. Hope someone can assist me. My 2nd trace is not appearing at all. Fisrt off, let me add, that I have set the units settings according to the manual. I don't know if my autistic neice had something to do with it, or I had an ext hdd next to it by screen and my 3d printers pc powersupply (not been used since I had it set up like i did) or I had my computers multi switched serge center on top of it, but in the first case, unit wasn't on, so I don't see what she'd have done to it. Serge center I don't see that causing issues either, but there is a set of pc speaker w/built in like 8 in sub unit on serge center, but that serge center is like 1.5-2 in thick, and the speakers have about another inch of clearance to the sub, and with the speaker facing down, the magnet is even farther away. Plus being pc speakers, i'd think they'd be shielded from magnets causing damage to anything. Any ideas?

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

jknightandkarr

Re: Instek GOS-620 Oscope help...

Postby jknightandkarr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Anyone?

Joe

Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Joe,

Not having one of these scopes, I can only guess.

First, try to eliminate all outside interference; take the 'scope off your workbench and put it on the kitchen table (be sure that you tell your wife that this is only temporary, we don't need to hear about your funeral.) Make sure that there are no electronic devices near the scope. Then follow the procedure 4.3 Basic Operation --- Single-Channel Operation, on page 13 of the manual (download from: http://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/produ ... 30_GOS-620 if yours is not the same.) Once you get that down pat (which should work fine) go on to procedure 4.4 Dual-Channel Operation on page 14. If you eliminate all the external interference sources and can get the B trace, then you will need to set up some better shielding on your workbench.

Also, if you cannot see the B trace, try moving the position knob for channel B very slowly up and down. I have seen 'scopes where the variable resistor for the location was dirty, and the trace jumped over the entire display screen. You may want to try cleaning the position pot, just to be sure. Also, I did not see anything about a locator button in the manual, but some scopes have a momentary button that brings the trace(s) to the center of the screen; that may help you to see if the trace is below, or above, the screen.

Let us know what happens with this test, it may jog my (or someone else's) memory and give us some more ideas to check out.

Art

jknightandkarr wrote:Seam to have alittle bit of an issue with my oscilloscope. Hope someone can assist me. My 2nd trace is not appearing at all. Fisrt off, let me add, that I have set the units settings according to the manual. I don't know if my autistic neice had something to do with it, or I had an ext hdd next to it by screen and my 3d printers pc powersupply (not been used since I had it set up like i did) or I had my computers multi switched serge center on top of it, but in the first case, unit wasn't on, so I don't see what she'd have done to it. Serge center I don't see that causing issues either, but there is a set of pc speaker w/built in like 8 in sub unit on serge center, but that serge center is like 1.5-2 in thick, and the speakers have about another inch of clearance to the sub, and with the speaker facing down, the magnet is even farther away. Plus being pc speakers, i'd think they'd be shielded from magnets causing damage to anything. Any ideas?

Joe
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Well i have an update.
Problem: Manufacturing deffect inside unit.

Plug on the underside of pcb had a single terminal on one of the wires had NOT been engaged correctly and fully, so after awhile it worked itself loose! I pulled the plug off and used a small flat screwdriver n pried out the tab alittle. Put it back in, back in business. Also checked other connectors for issues. Thanks for the help.

Joe

jknightandkarr

Postby jknightandkarr » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:52 am

Forgot to post all of the effects of said wire issue.
1) Ch 2 totally disabled.
2) Variety of screen changes. Ch 1 pos adjustment VERY limited, screen slightly rotated, think screen pos was moved down some. Thats all of em i noticed.
3) Calibration signal for probes disabled.
4) Might been others but I didn't notice any other changes.

This just goes to show what 1 small connection problem can do to a device or a project. Just glad I found the issue. I found it when I opened the top of the unit, checked inside, then tilted it up n all of a sudden the screen changed back to normal n 2 traces showed up.... After playing tilt a couple more times, I messed with wires untill I moved ones that ended up being the issue. Lucky for me the bottom panel is removable, so I could access the issue directly.

Joe

Return to “General Discussion”