ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Gotta rant...

Open Discussion and Chatter [Non-Topic Discussion]
Please read the Rules & Guidelines post before making any posts on the forums.
Please make your first post a reply to the New Members Introduction post.
jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Gotta rant...

Postby jknightandkarr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:03 am

Ok, been using Diptrace to design to design my projects and started using Google Sketchup to make 3D models to put on the boards 3D preview. Now for some stupid and annoying reason, I made a 1206 smt resistor, exported it to wrl file and imported into Diptrace ONLY to find that the resistor is BIGGER then the foot print... First thought is I goofed when I made the model. Went in and checked it, everything was as it should, using mm, dimensions correct, so I thought that the footprints in Diptrace had been flawed. Checked the foot prints after checking the 1206 smt footprint, while the pads are little long like 1.6 mm vs the 0.9mm I found online, wide good, like 1.8mm. The pad is in specs for Diptrace, so how the footprint has been either 1)Exported from Sketchup bigger then desired or 2) Diptrace has imported it bigger then required.... :evil: :roll: How damn annoying.... I also started making the 44pin QFP Propeller chip in SKetchup. Body:10mm x 10mm x 1.4mm. Pins 8mm wide total with 0.8mm pin spacing and pins 0.35 mm wide, though diptrace can't do 0.0x only 0.0 so it rounds part of the pins to ~0.4 or ~0.3, and just to make me wonder more 1 pin ended up 0.2 mm wide, which isn't a huge deal. Why it was using both ~0.4/~0.3 IDK, but should been ~0.4... Anyhow.. Finished 1 of 4 sides and did the export/import bit, once again part TOO BIG and I didn't even notice that SOMEhow or another I ended up with a NINE pins instead of 11.... How the heck did this happen??? Followed the diagram on the Propeller's Ver 1.4 datasheet pg 34 and ended up with 9 pins and NO room for the other 2.... And I double checked ALL my dimentions BEFORE I started making pins.... All 4 sides was 10mm, 1mm each end leaving the 8mm pin space, though now that I think of it I think I needed to make my sides 0.825, 8.35, 0.825mm. That would have given me the 10th pin, but still short on the 11th... My model should have had 10 pins with my 0.35 mm error, but only 9. Sometimes I just hate this crap....... So now better to just print out the 2 sides of my PCB designs on paper, and just place the REAL components down to check fit instead of trying to figure out some unknown error cause, and just have empty pcb design(s) on the 3D model with no components... Rant out... :evil:

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

chuckt

Re: Gotta rant...

Postby chuckt » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:31 am

Diptrace might be able to help you if you provide feedback to them and they are really the only ones that can help you since they are the authors of the program assuming that the problem is theirs. I suggest talking to them because that is where you gain the most insight.

jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Postby jknightandkarr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:29 am

I thought about that, but still not sure if the problem is the importing, I have imported before n no issues, or Sketchup's exporting... Not sure how to find out...

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:27 am

I thought Google sold Sketchup and it was a paid program now (not free). :?:
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

jlocke

Postby jlocke » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:22 pm

No, SketchUp still has a free version. They would LIKE you to buy the 'Pro' version, but the free one fits my needs perfectly. I use Eagle for my PC layouts, and some software called 'EagleUp' that uses SketchUp to produce a 3D version of your circuit board.

Return to “General Discussion”