ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Anyone heard from Chris?

Open Discussion and Chatter [Non-Topic Discussion]
Please read the Rules & Guidelines post before making any posts on the forums.
Please make your first post a reply to the New Members Introduction post.
Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Re: Anyone heard from Chris?

Postby Savage///Circuits » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Years ago I looked up his entry into the US at Ellis Island only to find hundreds of Chris Savage listings. Apparently it was a popular name back then.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:35 pm

I know I haven't been around much lately. I put my house up for sale thinking it might sell by spring. It sold in less than a week and I quickly found myself trying to find a temporary place to move to while the sale was completed. I am still moving. So much CRAP, so little time (and space). I guess it goes without saying that I will be spending the next several months going through everything I just moved to start clearing out even more stuff I don't need.

On another note, if you read Servo Magazine, September, October and November have articles I wrote in them. :ugeek:

jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Postby jknightandkarr » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm

First off Congrats on the magazine articles! By now no doubt you've probly finished moving, and you may or may not be totally done unpacking. Hope all is well.

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:10 pm

So, as for moving into the Rocklin town home, it's been nothing but trouble. I am out as of the end of February. I bought a house in Idaho and am moving there at the end of February.

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Savage///Circuits wrote:So, as for moving into the Rocklin town home, it's been nothing but trouble. I am out as of the end of February. I bought a house in Idaho and am moving there at the end of February.

We were stationed at Mountain Home AFB, ID back in the mid-80s. It was our best assignment out of 10 years active duty. There is some beautiful country there. I hope that you enjoy your new home.
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:17 pm

The new home is beautiful! And the area is nice. I just don't know what I am going to do for work.

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Savage///Circuits wrote:The new home is beautiful! And the area is nice. I just don't know what I am going to do for work.

Where is your new place? If near Boise, or another big population area, you could set up as an independent engineering tech for Boise State, or another school or engineering firm (you have the skills for that.)
I don't remember how you are with PCs, but my son and I are setting up an outsourced IT company. We will start out with small contracts for tiny companies (1-5 computers with no server or networking.) We will charge something like $10 per month per computer for unlimited(?) e-mail support, and the client will get 50% off for the first three on-site calls, and then something like 25% off for the next three on-site calls. Once we get a bit of confidence through that, we will begin offering 24/7 support through a vendor called Continuum. We sell the service, then pay Continuum (about $20-$25 per month per computer) to handle the first-level calls, and they pass on all the calls requiring on-site work to us. Continuum is nationwide, so you may be able to make use of them too.
If you would like more info, give me a call; I would love to talk to you again.
GranzTronix

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Boise is about 7 hours away from where I will be in Coeur d'Alene, ID.

I ran a computer repair shop for 20+ years, so fluent with PCs, though I haven't done much since 2005 when I moved out here to CA.

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:42 pm

HI Chris,

Without knowing what it is you want to do and the consulting idea got thrown out there by Art here goes some others... How about writing. Articles, a book, your own publication or your own on-line publication.

A lot of marketing goes to YouTube or on-line advertising, do you feel there is too little interest in starting a YouTube channel that teaches electronics from the ground up. Something like taking the Art of Electronics and working through it with explanations, demos and circuit layouts (while trying to leave the math at the minimal). Along with that, possibly make educational videos on programming techniques and how to implement them into different computer languages (like Spin, Basic, and C). Maybe a fee could be charged to your subscribers and only they would have access to the stuff that takes you a lot of time to do.

Open Your own business again, sounds like you already know what a successful business model should be. To me, it seems like getting into the industry of electronics is difficult and keeping a job is a real challenge.

Did Art suggest teaching at a Junior college? Maybe that.

anyway :? :?: I'm sure it's a challenge any-which way.

Jason

Granz

Postby Granz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Electrons-R-Fun wrote:...
Did Art suggest teaching at a Junior college? Maybe that....

Jason,

Nope, I didn't; but that is also a great idea.

Chris,
I never got up to Coeur d'Alene. In the Air Force, when you move to a new base, you are required to attend a "Local Area Hazards" briefing. Coeur d'Alene was the home of (some of?) the American Nazi party, and a couple of airmen had been killed a few years prior to my assignment. So, that area was off-limits to military personnel.

My son and I had our first (telephone) meeting with Continuum. They are known for their hand-holding for new partners, and the meeting went pretty well. We will be taking some training next week, and will go up (about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh) to meet them in person the following week. I asked the woman about you, and she assured me that they cover all of Idaho. They have about 200 help desk techs here in the Pittsburgh area, and about 700 NOC techs in India. They would be able to take initial calls for you, and then escalate calls to you which they cannot handle by phone and/or remoting in (they are able to handle about 70% of your help desk calls.) This would allow you to offer tech support to many more clients than you could handle on your own, and their prices are pretty good. I'll have more as we get further along in the on-boarding process.

I'm pretty pumped about this, we just got started about two weeks ago, and should start seeing some income by the end of this month.
GranzTronix

Return to “General Discussion”