ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

G-Sensor for Shelby GT500

The place for members to talk about their Projects In Progress
Electrons-R-Fun

G-Sensor for Shelby GT500

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:14 pm

I've ordered some parts to start the project for measuring lateral G-Forces in my car when going around a turn at the race track. I am going to just use the Parallax 2X16 LCD for now to see if I can even make the idea work.

Jason

Electrons-R-Fun

Re: G-Sensor for Shelby GT500

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:32 pm

I found a website called Sparkfun and ordered some parts from them to hopefully build the G-Sensor device. I have the G-Sensor running on My Basic Stamp board with LCD and Propeller board with LCD. I purchased something called a serial seven segment display that I hope will work with serial information coming from the Propeller. I also bought 6 6.5 inch seven segments display's and the drivers to make a new clock for Lisa. I would like to make a much better one than my first one which is made from a 555 and a bunch of Decade counters. I think the PPDB has a IC that is a clock on it. I will look into that after I get the G-sensor project done.

Jason

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Saw your Shelby videos on YouTube. Nice car! My Genesis Coupe is jealous. :?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zappman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 am

Jason, thanks for keeping us up to date about your current projects. I have mainly been tinkering with my Raspberry Pi(s) and Arduino(s). And someone at my local hackerspace has been teaching me how to program PIC chips using a PICkit3 programmer.
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:00 pm

zappman wrote:And someone at my local hackerspace has been teaching me how to program PIC chips using a PICkit3 programmer.

You sadist! :twisted:

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:03 am

I received my parts from Sparkfun today. I hooked up the 6.5 inch seven segment to my power supply to check the brightness of the display, because I thought is was going to be dimmer than I wanted, but they turned out to be great at 12 volts and 0.019 Amps 19mA. Lisa is very happy with the larger numbers for her clock also. Using the timer chip on the PPDB is going to be more difficult than I thought at first and it appears the object does have a way to keep 12 hour time instead of 24 hour time.

I also hooked up the serial seven segment display to my BS2 Homework board and then the Board of Education for the Propeller. Today I learned that Serial communication might be similar between platforms but it is not the same. I thought it would be the same.I used the Full Duplex serial communication for the propeller to try and display the g-sensor raw values. I was able to power the Sparkfun Seven Segment display but I could not get it too work correctly. I found an LCD driver in the obex for the Sparkfun LCD so I think I will try that next.

If all else fails I will use the Arduino to power the Sparkfun 7 segment driver I have.

Admittedly, the Accelerometerproject is much more involved than I originally expected. I had to read part of a book called "Smart Sensors" that talked about counting the rising edges of the pulses and then building a scale and offset. I think this project is going to involve a lot of learning.

Thanks for the interest. I will post some pictures of progress later.

Jason

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:29 am

Chris,

May 7th and 8th 2016 We are going racing again. Straight up,... No B.S. I wish you could come down and go with us, I would be happy to take you around the track in the car. AAA speedway in Fontana.

Jason

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Wish I had the available time. Been puppy-sitting lately so haven't been able to go too far from home on the weekends. Pups need to go out and such. But yeah, take some more video and we'll see it on the YouTube channel at minimum. ;)

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:56 pm

I'm going to have to delay on the g-sensor project. I need to learn more about how the SparkFun Seven Segment driver works so I can write to it with the Basic stamp homework board or the Propeller Board of education. Not giving up just need more time to learn.

In the meantime I made a video where you can see what I've done so far on the clock project on YouTube. The video is mostly about the clock I am working on building, but at the end, I show and talk briefly about the g-sensor project. Go to 4:19 to see the g-sensor project so far.

Jason

https://youtu.be/LyMzmFgDy9I

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Postby Savage///Circuits » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:41 pm

I have done several projects in the past driving large segment displays like that and am working on one now for a specific project which will hopefully be in an upcoming magazine. Anyway, your video didn't mention how you'll drive that large display, but mine are all Common Anode and so I am using the ULN2803 and driving it from a shift register. That way the digit values are looked up from patterns shifted out to each digit based on offsets. It works quite nicely and requires a single call to a subroutine of method.

Return to “Projects In Progress”