ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

Stuck Message?

Suggestions, questions and answers related to the features and use of the forum site.
zappman
Administrator
Administrator

Addressing a PM to a Recipient --- Re: Stuck Message?

Postby zappman » Fri May 06, 2016 8:29 am

Chris,

Thank You for contacting Technical Support.

After some testing and research, I have the answer to some of your questions / issues using "Private Messaging" on these forums.

Please see the information quoted below taken from https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.1/ug/userguide/pm_new/

Composing a new message

The screen presented while composing a Private Message is nearly identical to the screen for creating a new post. The main difference is the addition of an address field for adding recipients.

Private Message Fields
Fields for adding recipients to a Private Message.

Usernames should be entered into the text area and then either the Add or Add [BCC] used to add the user to the appropriate recipient list. If you are unsure of a user's name, you can use the Find a member link to search the memberlist for the user. Place a check next to the desired user(s) in the memberlist and press Select marked to add the user to the recipient field.

Your Private Message Recipients should be displayed as shown in the example below:

WARNING:
If you entered a "Recipient Name" but have NOT used the "ADD" button as directed above and you click on the "Submit" button, your message is NOT sent; instead the "Submit" button works like the "ADD" button. You MUST click on the "Submit" button a 2nd time or the Private Message will not be sent (If you navigate away from the "Compose Message page" your PM will be lost forever.)
Attachments
private_messsage_fields.png
(2.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Adding a PM Recipient.jpg
(29.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

How to Delete a message from your PM Outbox ---Re: Stuck Message?

Postby zappman » Fri May 06, 2016 9:12 am

Chris,

Thank You for contacting Technical Support.

After some testing and research, I have the answer to some of your questions / issues using "Private Messaging" on these forums.

Referring to the picture below follow these steps to delete a PM from your Outbox:
    Please a check mark(s) in the box on the message(s) your want to delete
    Select "Delete marked" in the pull down box as shown
    Click on the "Go" button

A page asking "Are you sure?" will be displayed as shown below:
    Click on the "Yes" button to delete the selected messages.
Attachments
Deleting a message from your Outbox.jpg
(91.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Delete marked messages.jpg
(31.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Re: Stuck Message?

Postby Savage///Circuits » Fri May 06, 2016 11:46 am

Zappman,

That explains some of the emails...I am assuming that the one I sent over a year ago was there because that member never logged back in and read it. As a note, this system doesn't work like a typical system. In most email clients I have seen, including Outlook, the message is in the Outbox until it is successfully sent. Then it appears in the sent items. There are both pros and cons to the current system on PHPBB...

Pros, you can tell when someone has/hasn't read your PM. This could be a good or a bad thing.

Cons, confusion like what I just went through because it is non-typical behavior.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Re: Outbox & the Sent messages folders --- Re: Stuck Message?

Postby Granz » Sat May 07, 2016 8:54 am

zappman wrote:...
Sent messages will appear in either the Outbox or the Sent messages folder. As long as the recipient(s) have not yet read the message, it will stay in the Outbox. As soon as someone reads the message it will be archived to the Sent messages folder. If the administrator allows it, you can edit messages after sending them as long as they are in the Outbox and the recipients have not yet read them.

Zappman,

Thanks for posting this, it could be confusing - I thought, like Chris did, that this would work like e-mail (i.e. place PM into the sent folder upon delivery, not reading.) It looks like we have a built-in read receipt system here.
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Outbox & the Sent messages folders --- Re: Stuck Message?

Postby zappman » Sat May 07, 2016 11:55 am

To clarify one more thing about this topic. If you address a PM to multiple people, the message will move from the "Outbox" to "Sent messages" as soon as "one" of the persons addressed reads the PM. So, you don't know who has read the PM, but you know that at least one person has read the PM. If you have copied yourself on a PM, it almost instantly moves to "Sent messages".

Savage///Circuits
VIP
VIP

Re: Stuck Message?

Postby Savage///Circuits » Sat May 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Yes, thanks for the clarification. It keeps me from making everyone paranoid about the PM system now. LOL :lol:
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

Return to “Forum Support”