ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

The Resistors Comic

Keep It Clean, Please!
JDISME

Re: The Resistors Comic

Postby JDISME » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:10 am

Hey all,

Been learning a Wacom pad instead of just using pencil and charcoal, so im getting the hang of it. Comics are going to be a little bit late. haha I was using paint.net for my editor, which is good in my opinion, but using a Wacom pad wasn't very easy. I opened up Gimp and it seemed to flow a lot easier, Gimp is much like Photoshop that it has brushes and the like whereas paint.net isn't brush customization.

Here is the first one I did.

Joshua Donelson

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:21 am

That looks pretty good. It looks like he is wearing goggles, kind of like a minion. :D
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

JDISME

Postby JDISME » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks, I can totally see it too. :lol:

The transition from pencil and paper to digital have felt a little strange. The Wacom pad lets me draw on the screen but it's the first time I am not looking at what im drawing directly. From reading Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain, I learned that skill is actually good to have, so im practicing more with it and it's getting easier with every time I sit down to create something. :D
Joshua Donelson

JDISME

Happy New years

Postby JDISME » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Happy New Years Friends :) ... hope it was good to you. Here is my latest comic, my first real edition for digital. Hope you all enjoy

Joshua Donelson

JDISME

Postby JDISME » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 am

Hey all :) So I stayed with the wacom pad and went with Photoshop. There was no setup for the wacom like where was in Gimp, and there is only a zoom issue that I am still looking to resolve. My mouse 3 or middle button was used to scroll in Gimp and paint.net and in PS it doesn't, so I will have to find the command for the scrolling and bind that to Mouse 3. PS is really sweet in allowing key binding. Here's a look at how The Resistors came to be. :)

Joshua Donelson

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 am

JD, looking good.

How did you get that first picture (on the left)? It looks like something that I would like to be able to include in some of my tutorials, and books. Did you download it from somewhere, or did you take the pic yourself?
GranzTronix

JDISME

Postby JDISME » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 am

Granz wrote:JD, looking good.

How did you get that first picture (on the left)? It looks like something that I would like to be able to include in some of my tutorials, and books. Did you download it from somewhere, or did you take the pic yourself?

Thanks. I had to actually look it up because I pull from so many places; but that one actually came from ResistorGuide.com. More than anything when I was searching, I was looking for a resistor in a photograph, so I didn't have to bust out the Nikon and lights haha. It's the "real life" version of the piece :)

In this one, I used a series resistor I found, enlarged, then traced to give a comic feel, and used as a new character in the comic. Im called one Series (series resistor) and the other one AL (axial-lead resistor). :)

Joshua Donelson

Granz

Postby Granz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:05 am

JDISME wrote:...I had to actually look it up because I pull from so many places; but that one actually came from ResistorGuide.com. More than anything when I was searching, I was looking for a resistor in a photograph, so I didn't have to bust out the Nikon and lights haha. It's the "real life" version of the piece :) ...

Thanks, JD. I guess I will need to break out the "Nikon and lights." I guess that I was kind of hoping that you had found a site which could generate a photo-realistic picture of a resistor given the value. That hope was probably too big of a stretch. Oh well.

Also, if I could offer some constructive criticism: we read from upper-left to lower-right. When I looked at this frame, I started out with the upper-most text (from the resistor network.) I was able to get the idea that someone had confused "series" with "Siri," but I was thinking that this was one frame of several (like the comic strips in the newspapers.) It wasn't until I got to the speech bubble from the discrete resistor that I got it. If you were to place the speech bubble from the discrete (the first character to speak) above the resistor, and the response from the network below that character, the reading would flow a bit more naturally. Also, if you have a conversation with more than two speech bubbles, the first should be upper-left most, the next slightly below and to the right, then the next speech bubble a bit lower and back to the left, and so on, working lower, and left-to-right, in the frame.
GranzTronix

JDISME

Postby JDISME » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Granz wrote:
JDISME wrote:...I had to actually look it up because I pull from so many places; but that one actually came from ResistorGuide.com. More than anything when I was searching, I was looking for a resistor in a photograph, so I didn't have to bust out the Nikon and lights haha. It's the "real life" version of the piece :) ...

Thanks, JD. I guess I will need to break out the "Nikon and lights." I guess that I was kind of hoping that you had found a site which could generate a photo-realistic picture of a resistor given the value. That hope was probably too big of a stretch. Oh well.

Also, if I could offer some constructive criticism: we read from upper-left to lower-right. When I looked at this frame, I started out with the upper-most text (from the resistor network.) I was able to get the idea that someone had confused "series" with "Siri," but I was thinking that this was one frame of several (like the comic strips in the newspapers.) It wasn't until I got to the speech bubble from the discrete resistor that I got it. If you were to place the speech bubble from the discrete (the first character to speak) above the resistor, and the response from the network below that character, the reading would flow a bit more naturally. Also, if you have a conversation with more than two speech bubbles, the first should be upper-left most, the next slightly below and to the right, then the next speech bubble a bit lower and back to the left, and so on, working lower, and left-to-right, in the frame.

Yeah that was just a single picture; if you throw it in Photoshop or Gimp you could change the colors to whatever you want though, simple enough.

I'm a big graphics novel fan and have learned that there is a flow, but you do what you need to and it generally works. I had moved around the talk bubbles for that exact reason, as English is my primary language, so I totally get what you mean. I just hoped the concept was simple enough to follow :)
Joshua Donelson

Granz

Postby Granz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:36 pm

JDISME wrote:...I just hoped the concept was simple enough to follow :)

Oh, don't get me wrong, it was simple enough to follow. I was able to figure it out pretty quickly, but when I noticed that little bit of confusion, I just thought that putting it into words might help a bit.
GranzTronix

Return to “Geek / Techie Humor”