ZappBots wishes a warm welcome to everyone.

Especially our visitors from
Savage///Circuits and Parallax!!!

Please take a look our new forums, we hope you register and become an active user.

The ZappBots forums are being run on phpBB 3.1.4 software which is different then the vBulletin used on the Savage///Circuits and Parallax forums.
Therefore, things look and work a little different, especially creating posts and uploading images / attachments.

The important thing is we have a place toTalk, Learn and Showcase our projects.

MakerBot Thing-O-Matic

The is the place to talk about 3D Printers
zappman
Administrator
Administrator

MakerBot Thing-O-Matic

Postby zappman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:24 am

Since I joined the Baltimore Hackerspace on July 23, 2015, I have access to a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic 3D printer. Image
It has a build envelope of about 100.0 by 100.0 by 100.0 mm (4.0″ W × 4.0″ D × 4.0″ H). At the present time it is set up to fabricate using ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene).

I am printing parts to build an ESRA Talking Robot like the one shown below.

Here is a picture of the first 4 parts I printed.
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Re: MakerBot Thing-O-Matic

Postby Granz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Pretty cool; just over a week and you are already productive.

It seems like you like your new hackerspace. Can you give any more details, like the membership price, how much for each class, how long a class takes, etc?
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

zappman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zappman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 pm

Granz wrote:Pretty cool; just over a week and you are already productive.

It seems like you like your new hackerspace. Can you give any more details, like the membership price, how much for each class, how long a class takes, etc?
The Baltimore Hackerspace recently, decreased their minimum monthly donation for a key holding member from $75.00 per month to $25.00 per month. More information can be found at this link Baltimore Hackerspace. So far they have not had any classes on using their equipment since I joined. I have learned about using the Thing-O-Matic 3D by asking for help during their Wednesday and Thursday open hack nights. I also have been reading the book "Idiots Guide: 3D Printing" that I checked out of my local public library. I also own a copy of the "MAKE Ultimate Guide to 3D Printing 2014".
butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails.

Granz
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Terra, Sol, Andromeda Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Cluster, Local Universe

Postby Granz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:37 am

Hmm, those prices are not too bad (although still a bit more than I could justify, we are still trying to catch up from 17 months of unemployment - and I am only bringing in about 2/3rds of my former pay :cry: ) When my business starts bringing in enough money, I need to look into something like that.

I like the idea of being able to use equipment without having to take a class. We have a Tech-Shop (kind of like a hackerspace) here and you are required to take a class (which costs money) before you are allowed to touch any equipment. I do understand their desire to protect themselves and the equipment, but it adds to the cost of getting started.

I guess it's time to look into the Pittsburgh Hackerspace again.
Art G. Granzeier III, President
GranzTronix
http://projects.granzeier.com
Helping to Build a Better Engineer

Electrons-R-Fun

Postby Electrons-R-Fun » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks Zappman for posting the pictures of the project your working on. Truly... a fun environment, being able to build so many different ideas. Price looks good also. I can't wait for more pictures of the projects you bring to life.

Jason

jknightandkarr
Location: Hopelessly lost on the USS-Titanic 968 years from home....

Postby jknightandkarr » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:21 am

Kinda cool what one can now make with a 3d printer.

Joe
My website- Http://titaniceng.altervista.org/

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TitanicElectronicsGames/

~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96

Return to “3D Printers”